@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ Welcome! 欢迎!@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Welcome to my virtual home. This is a little private space for me to put my thoughts and share my feelings since 2005. Due to my wide range of interests, there are perhaps too many tags. I would explain some of the less obvious tags:

"About Life" is really about how I have been pondering about life and what enlightenments and paradigm shifts I had experienced.

"About Psi" contains most topics about happiness, optimism vs pessimism,
confidence, comparison, pride and prejudice and other psychological aspects.

"About Logical Thinking" is about my own way of interpretating and explaining
certain issues, aiming to debunk (or create?) superficialness of them.

"About Ideology" is about my thoughts on big concepts like freedom, justice,
fairness in society and religion.

"About Society" is more about my observations about the society, often through interactions with different peoples.

"My Country" reveals my frustration, critics and hope
on my homeland - Malaysia.

"My Little Pieces" has more short posts though mostly are written in Mandarin.

While I do have some posts on book reviews and business, I am planning to
separate them into author-specific and content-specific blogs. Stay tuned.

Enjoy your reading!

Monday, April 9, 2007

Culture & Mentality

Culture

A friend from Hong Kong came few days ago and yesterday I "sort of" brought her around. I wondered is that call "bringing around" because she had almost traveled all the tourist spots before yesterday, and most importantly, there aren't many distintive differences between Singapore and Hong Kong except culture. Hong Kong chinese, Singaporean chinese, Malaysian chinese, all with different cultures. Inside the same cultural group nobody share the exact identical personality. Environment, education, experience all play a part in shaping one's personality. If we can accept people are different, we can accept cultures are different. Things are meant to be unique to render the world colourful and harmoneous but not mono. But how often can a human, obsessed predominantly by his/her own way of thinking, be disposed to admire strength not found in ourselves but exposed in differences?

Mentality

I wonder should I blame it to the "culture" among ourselves. It's not "kia-su" mentality but rather form of teasing among friends, perhaps in companion with slight envy. And in the past I "should-be" among the major criminal that found guilty of teasing friends for hardworking. It's just too natural for me to tease a friend: Wah, so hardworking ar? Wah, so fast do tutorial ar? when I saw them studying. Sincerely I didn't mean to discourage them to study, it's just too natural as this kind of behaviour is circulating among ourselves. If people tease me like this I probably would reply with smile or another teasing, and continue to study. But only after recent strong protest from two strongmen I finally realized not everyone behaves like me and they really care about what others say and would feel embarass to continue study.
Aiyo, then I die lor...for becoming a culprit of discouraging others to study. Damn damn. Didn't mean for that but anyway... It's true even it doesn't not mean for discouraging, it's still far from encouraging to study. So, I have to change my behaviour from this moment on. Next time you won't see tease you on hardworking (on other things perhaps), but you will hear :"Oh begitu rajin bagus! Belajar pandai pandai la~" Does that sound more supportive? Haha~

0 comments:

by TemplatesForYouTFY
SoSuechtig, Burajiru