@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ Welcome! 欢迎!@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Welcome to my virtual home. This is a little private space for me to put my thoughts and share my feelings since 2005. Due to my wide range of interests, there are perhaps too many tags. I would explain some of the less obvious tags:

"About Life" is really about how I have been pondering about life and what enlightenments and paradigm shifts I had experienced.

"About Psi" contains most topics about happiness, optimism vs pessimism,
confidence, comparison, pride and prejudice and other psychological aspects.

"About Logical Thinking" is about my own way of interpretating and explaining
certain issues, aiming to debunk (or create?) superficialness of them.

"About Ideology" is about my thoughts on big concepts like freedom, justice,
fairness in society and religion.

"About Society" is more about my observations about the society, often through interactions with different peoples.

"My Country" reveals my frustration, critics and hope
on my homeland - Malaysia.

"My Little Pieces" has more short posts though mostly are written in Mandarin.

While I do have some posts on book reviews and business, I am planning to
separate them into author-specific and content-specific blogs. Stay tuned.

Enjoy your reading!

Wednesday, November 8, 2006

Conflicts solved?

Dear Choon Lim,

       The test is only 40 minutes. Basically, it is about the same as one question in the final examination. The topics covered in test 2 include
       1. circular convolution
       2. implementation of linear convolution by circular convolution
       3. DFT matrix
       4. Forward transform as dot product between basic vector and signal vector
       These are the topics that we covered in recent 3 weeks.

       The first time I taught random processes was almost twenty years ago. I started teaching DSP about ten years ago. I fully understand that both random processes and DSP are difficult. One professor equates DSP to quantum mechanics on the depth of the subjectc. On the other hand, they are the keystones of many other subjects like communications.
       The major difficulty is that they are abstract. Also, some time, students do not know why the subjects are important and so they lose 
motivation to learn.This difficulty is being tackled by using examples and relating the theory to objects in real life like archery, telephone lines and TV reception.

       Another problem is that a student will have great difficulty at the later part of the course if he/she does not have a good understanding of the concept taught at the begining. In fact, students will have problem if they do not have a good understanding of signal and systems or they have not taken erg2030.

       That is why I always stay behind after classes to answer students' questions. Also, Lawrence's revision should be useful. I heard good 
comments about his tutorials.
       For the last 5 years, my effort toward this course has never stopped and the effort is devoted to making this course easier to understand instead of making it more advanced.

       On the other hand, I need your cooporation. Talk to me after the lectures if you have problems. Some did and I am sure they are all happy and have their problems solved.


       It's weird as I was only focus on the quiz and didn't attack on him personally but he replied in so many lines to defend himselves. Well, it's good to enhances my understanding about his qualification and perseverance, and about the background of DSP. But I think he misunderstood some of my points and shifted away from the topic: quiz. Communication gap huh?

Dear Prof,

        Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your efforts in past years to try to make this subject easy to understand  and clear. Personally, I think your lecture notes are well-written and organized. However, I still feel that the scope of the tests should be defined clearer. Since there are two tests, i think it's good to separate one test for one major part of the course. (e.g. First quiz for random processes, second quiz for DSP) instead of stating "lecture notes covered up to what date...".

        I suppose the logic of revision of some of the students (like me) goes like this: In the first quiz, only definitons of random processes are tested. Means, variance, autocorrelation & autocovariance, 2-D joint density function & 2-D joint distribution function are not tested. Hence, we would expect some part of these come out in the exam, since it's included in "materials covered up to last lecture". If there are 20-30% of the quiz is allocated for these topics, I think all of us would have no complaint at all.

        And if the purpose of the test is to test "purely on" whether student have good understanding about DFT, convolution e.t.c, I think it's 
better to inform all of us that the scope is from DSP's part materials. Of course there are some students solved it happily during the exam because they have prepared for that part. But that doesn't justify that these quizzes are "fair" in my opinion. A better quiz would be either of wider scope or clearer scope. I understand students and professor have different point of view and interests, but I sincerely hope you can understand where our frustation comes from.

       Thank you very much.

Regards,
Choon Lim. 


       I feel nothing after sending this email. I just want to convey my message clearly about the format of quiz and I wouldn't have expected any changes. But other requests from classmates had somehow finally changed something. There maybe another quiz for those who want to take it and prove themselves. Conflict solved? I think it is solved since both sides can accept the suggestion.  I think neither side were right nor wrong, because it's conflict of interests. But does this show the importance of voice out, communication & compromise? :)

0 comments:

by TemplatesForYouTFY
SoSuechtig, Burajiru