@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ Welcome! 欢迎!@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Welcome to my virtual home. This is a little private space for me to put my thoughts and share my feelings since 2005. Due to my wide range of interests, there are perhaps too many tags. I would explain some of the less obvious tags:

"About Life" is really about how I have been pondering about life and what enlightenments and paradigm shifts I had experienced.

"About Psi" contains most topics about happiness, optimism vs pessimism,
confidence, comparison, pride and prejudice and other psychological aspects.

"About Logical Thinking" is about my own way of interpretating and explaining
certain issues, aiming to debunk (or create?) superficialness of them.

"About Ideology" is about my thoughts on big concepts like freedom, justice,
fairness in society and religion.

"About Society" is more about my observations about the society, often through interactions with different peoples.

"My Country" reveals my frustration, critics and hope
on my homeland - Malaysia.

"My Little Pieces" has more short posts though mostly are written in Mandarin.

While I do have some posts on book reviews and business, I am planning to
separate them into author-specific and content-specific blogs. Stay tuned.

Enjoy your reading!

Wednesday, November 8, 2006

Student's Response

 I guess most of the students share the same feeling as me... The quiz was poorly set.

Dear Dr.Cham,

      I feel frustrated after finishing today's test2.
     
      - the scope of the test is not clear, i try to raise the question in newsgroup but no one answer.
      - the questions b,c are quite similar, but it already counts 60% of the test.
      - none of the tutorial cover the content of the test.
      - the examples in lecture notes are not sufficient.
      - the difficulty and format are too different with test1.

      I don't think it made a fair assessment on students' effort. Therefore, I suggest that this 20% test should be slightly adjusted to 10 - 
15%. Thankyou very much for your kind attention.

I sincerely agree with you that the tests are not a good way to evaluate 
students' abilities.

It's hard to get a good result no matter how much time you spend....


      Let it go. This course is just nothing.

      - Lect, tuto notes and ass solutions are posted late.
      - Quizzes are making fool of us, and never reflect students' efforts.
      - Assignments are so poorly designed that it hardly helps us to understand the most basic concepts, but to frustrate us and make us lose
        motivation of learning.
      - Newsgroup is left deserted. Students attend class just for the damned pop quizzes.
      - The professor is always making fun of us: "It is very easy, right?" He thinks these words can make us relaxed, or boost our
        motivation?! What the heck the mindset is that?!
      - The lecture makes no sense. It just makes the simplest things in the world extremely complicated to show off his knowledge, to build 
        up his happiness upon others' frustration. Professors just know how to do research: when they cannot search anything, they
        "re-search". They never learn the lesson and art of teaching.

       Let it go and the world is beautiful.


       I agree with the Quizzes are not the most effective way to evaulate our knowledge on this course after taking 2 tests.
       The marks of these two tests do not really reflect our ability.
       We may get high mark when we fulfil either conditions
       1)very very well-prepared
       2)very lucky
       3)always study the last chapter of the note for test

       I do not think we only learnt DFT or definition of random process only in 3410.This two quizzes really "天堂與地獄", really "random".
If we study hard autocorrelation these chapters in second quiz, we still fail in the test, but the material studyed is also the core part of the 
course.

 以上只是身為一個學生的小小見意,亦可當作course's  evaluation comment.

       Thanks for consideration.

       Though some responses are biased & emotional, but I sense & share the same anger, despair about the test & the disgrace about the professor. Hence I left my comment as well:
 
Dear professor and tutors,

    I have something to say as well. I think quiz generally shouldn't be set like this. It shouldn't include only one topic but should include few topics in all previous lectures. If this "style" is going to be continued, it would only encourage student to spot topic (latest one) instead of revising most of the topics. This quiz is not reflecting the knowledge of students, nor strengthening the understanding of students. It is destroying the self-esteem of student and driving them into the fear of failing this subject.

    You could say that these are just irrational responses from a despair student, and I admit I did extremely poor on both quizzes. But this is really what I feel after 3 days of hardwork, revising on all previous materials up to random processes. I think I am stupid not to cover up all 
materials but I think it's ridiculous none of the these parts are tested in a "test". I feel shocked!

    I acknowledge that professor has the right to set the question paper in any style, but I guess most of us don't like this style. It's not that the question is extremely difficult and beyond our comprehension. If the topic (DFT) is told prior to exam, I think all of us can do it. If the scope is not specified, then by common sense the quiz shouldn't only include DFT. Same goes to the first quiz. I don't think the mean of around 30 marks really reflects the standard of student.

    Of course nothing could be done now, but I would really hope professor and tutors take some time to think about our responses. After all, we are just students.

Regards,
Choon Lim. 

0 comments:

by TemplatesForYouTFY
SoSuechtig, Burajiru