@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ Welcome! 欢迎!@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Welcome to my virtual home. This is a little private space for me to put my thoughts and share my feelings since 2005. Due to my wide range of interests, there are perhaps too many tags. I would explain some of the less obvious tags:

"About Life" is really about how I have been pondering about life and what enlightenments and paradigm shifts I had experienced.

"About Psi" contains most topics about happiness, optimism vs pessimism,
confidence, comparison, pride and prejudice and other psychological aspects.

"About Logical Thinking" is about my own way of interpretating and explaining
certain issues, aiming to debunk (or create?) superficialness of them.

"About Ideology" is about my thoughts on big concepts like freedom, justice,
fairness in society and religion.

"About Society" is more about my observations about the society, often through interactions with different peoples.

"My Country" reveals my frustration, critics and hope
on my homeland - Malaysia.

"My Little Pieces" has more short posts though mostly are written in Mandarin.

While I do have some posts on book reviews and business, I am planning to
separate them into author-specific and content-specific blogs. Stay tuned.

Enjoy your reading!

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Entrepreneurship

I am actually reading materials on the topic of "entrepreneurship" on-line, as part of my preparation for ENS. I've been linking contents from lectures, questions from assignments and pass year papers, and also web sources to predict what sorts of questions could be asked. I've got a flow chart in my mind but I shouldn't bother you too much with it.

"Entrepreneurship" has become a buzz word for new generation like us. We are fascinated by the success stories of Google, Facebook, and bla. We imagine ourself to emulate their success (at least for one second), craving for the "great superb fascinating idea". In fact, quite of a lot of us had at least took some actions. But how many of us will succeed in the future? To answer this question, we need to understanding few things.

Firstly, are entrepreneurs born or made? The same old debate of nature (heredity) and nurture (environment) applies to this context too. Both are essential but which factor is more important? Personally I think environment is way more significant. What you believe now is shaped by what you had experienced from the past.

Secondly, assuming entrepreneurs are bred by circumstances, what is your drive to achieve success and how strong it is? For people with backgrounds like us, that leads to two possible scenarios and reasons behind:

Scenario A: Tried out on few ideas but failed to create big success. Motivation eventually faded off and thus giving up the idea of becoming entrepreneur.

Possible explanations:
- The true reason behind to become an entrepreneur is not strong enough to keep motivation high. Why do you want to an entrepreneur in the first place? Money? Success? Do not want to work for others? Want to help others? Better future for kids? Can benefits from fulfilling this desire exceed all possible costs?

- It's hard to get out from comfort zone. For most of us that are going to finish tertiary education and graduate soon, we didn't grow up in a harsh upbringing. We never experienced famine so we never really appreciates food. We never experienced poverty so we never really appreciates money. We take a lot of things for granted. I am not saying that we are living in a wrong way but that to a certain extent reduces our alertness and weakens our drive.

- "If you have nothing then you have nothing to lose". For many successful entrepreneurs, entrepreneurship is their only opportunity to establish themselves in the society. For us, it's just one of the choice. The difference in mentality, desire and motivation couldn't be greater.

Scenario B: Successful entrepreneurs.

Possible explanation: Needless. Meaningless.

My opinion is that default scenario for us is scenario A. How to reach scenario B? If only we have a burning desire for this, at the expense of other life elements. And then a totally new mind set. Environment that had brought us up may be a curse in disguise if we don't aware of our own weaknesses.

But anyway, be entrepreneur or not, I believe that all of my friends will have a bright future. Cheers.

2 comments:

KE said...

just 2 cent: poor people go on the entreprenuership route because they have nothing to lose, while we do have something to lose. But poor parents still ask their kids to study medicine bcos its a sure-fire way to riches, unlike risking it on business.

clim said...

hmm... but to be a doctor can't really earn much unless he/she opens a clinic. And that's hard without other's money.

by TemplatesForYouTFY
SoSuechtig, Burajiru