@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ Welcome! 欢迎!@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Welcome to my virtual home. This is a little private space for me to put my thoughts and share my feelings since 2005. Due to my wide range of interests, there are perhaps too many tags. I would explain some of the less obvious tags:

"About Life" is really about how I have been pondering about life and what enlightenments and paradigm shifts I had experienced.

"About Psi" contains most topics about happiness, optimism vs pessimism,
confidence, comparison, pride and prejudice and other psychological aspects.

"About Logical Thinking" is about my own way of interpretating and explaining
certain issues, aiming to debunk (or create?) superficialness of them.

"About Ideology" is about my thoughts on big concepts like freedom, justice,
fairness in society and religion.

"About Society" is more about my observations about the society, often through interactions with different peoples.

"My Country" reveals my frustration, critics and hope
on my homeland - Malaysia.

"My Little Pieces" has more short posts though mostly are written in Mandarin.

While I do have some posts on book reviews and business, I am planning to
separate them into author-specific and content-specific blogs. Stay tuned.

Enjoy your reading!

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Simple Language

I've noticed that a lot of my recent words are unnecessarily long. Articles are written to be red, so it should be precise and easy to understand. I love "simple language" but I have problems in practising it. It needs more careful attention to write short than to write long. When time allows, I will study on George Well's article "Politics and the English Language" carefully. Before that, let's just get to the summarized six rules for writers mentioned in that article:

  • Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.
  • Never use a long word where a short one will do.
  • If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
  • Never use the passive voice where you can use the active.
  • Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.
  • Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.

And a writing style guide for journalists from the Economist.

The importance of writing article concisely in this knowledge age is obvious since we have many information to absorb everyday.

同样的,用华文写作也应精简,但也许我们不知道自己写得冗长。真感兴趣的,可以读一读下面的文章:

<余光中:论中文之西化>
<余光中:从西而不化到西而化之>
<余光中:论中文的常态与变态>

1 comments:

Lavender said...

Haha! Not bad!I'll read it when I have time! Kakaka!

by TemplatesForYouTFY
SoSuechtig, Burajiru