@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ Welcome! 欢迎!@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Welcome to my virtual home. This is a little private space for me to put my thoughts and share my feelings since 2005. Due to my wide range of interests, there are perhaps too many tags. I would explain some of the less obvious tags:

"About Life" is really about how I have been pondering about life and what enlightenments and paradigm shifts I had experienced.

"About Psi" contains most topics about happiness, optimism vs pessimism,
confidence, comparison, pride and prejudice and other psychological aspects.

"About Logical Thinking" is about my own way of interpretating and explaining
certain issues, aiming to debunk (or create?) superficialness of them.

"About Ideology" is about my thoughts on big concepts like freedom, justice,
fairness in society and religion.

"About Society" is more about my observations about the society, often through interactions with different peoples.

"My Country" reveals my frustration, critics and hope
on my homeland - Malaysia.

"My Little Pieces" has more short posts though mostly are written in Mandarin.

While I do have some posts on book reviews and business, I am planning to
separate them into author-specific and content-specific blogs. Stay tuned.

Enjoy your reading!

Thursday, March 27, 2008

What is democracy?

I guess most of us have at least some basic ideas of it, since we are living in a democratic society. ENS lecturer asked this question and gave an answer by himself that "democracy is all about accountability", which mean 1 person 1 vote in the simplest sense.

The first major principle we learnt about democracy is "majority rules" (多数统治或少数服从多数). What's next? I am not so clear but recently I meet this term "tyranny of majority rules" (多数专政), which means that governing majority may make laws that abuse the rights of minority. That's the reason why government can be formed by a simple majority, but constitution and laws can only be changed by a super majority (2/3 of present votes) in parliament. This is to protect minority rights.

"Tyranny of majority rules" is one of more known problem of democracy. Besides this, there's also a heated discussion among scholars about the relative importance of "procedures vs decision", with the central argument of how far democratic procedures can ensure good decisions. These issues are beyond my comprehension at this moment, and I shall leave it for further exploration.

As far as a netizen concerns, one step at a time is enough.

0 comments:

by TemplatesForYouTFY
SoSuechtig, Burajiru