@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ Welcome! 欢迎!@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Welcome to my virtual home. This is a little private space for me to put my thoughts and share my feelings since 2005. Due to my wide range of interests, there are perhaps too many tags. I would explain some of the less obvious tags:

"About Life" is really about how I have been pondering about life and what enlightenments and paradigm shifts I had experienced.

"About Psi" contains most topics about happiness, optimism vs pessimism,
confidence, comparison, pride and prejudice and other psychological aspects.

"About Logical Thinking" is about my own way of interpretating and explaining
certain issues, aiming to debunk (or create?) superficialness of them.

"About Ideology" is about my thoughts on big concepts like freedom, justice,
fairness in society and religion.

"About Society" is more about my observations about the society, often through interactions with different peoples.

"My Country" reveals my frustration, critics and hope
on my homeland - Malaysia.

"My Little Pieces" has more short posts though mostly are written in Mandarin.

While I do have some posts on book reviews and business, I am planning to
separate them into author-specific and content-specific blogs. Stay tuned.

Enjoy your reading!

Saturday, August 15, 2009

RSS

既然提到了RSS(Really Simple Syndication),就顺便解释一下,我想还有一些人不知道这个如此厉害的网络技术。简单的来说,这项技术提供的便利,就像是送报纸的,每日准时把报纸送到你门口,而不需要你亲自出门去买。只要用阅读器(Reader)订阅了那个网站的RSS,每一次启动阅读器,你就会自动收到那个网站最新的更新文章或讯息,这样你就可以省下去每个网站查看的麻烦。如果你只有一个网站要留意,那就无所谓了,但要是你有一百个网站要游览,用RSS就可省却很多麻烦和节省很多时间了。

我一直以来都在用Google Reader,蛮不错的,但苦于不能分类收藏不同网站的文章,一直在找有这个功能的阅读器,后来试用Bloglines,才发觉它的剪贴功能(clipping service)正是我想要的。平心而言,除了缺少这个剪贴功能以外,其他方面Google Reader都比Bloglines好,但这个功能却正好是我最需要的,看来世上真的没有完美的东西,只好麻烦一点,用两个阅读器了。

[后记@2009-08-21:发现Google Reader可以再加Tag来分类收藏,于是又把Bloglines的RSS换回去用Google Reader订阅,绕了一大圈,才发觉原来之前的原来错了。]

Since I have mentioned about RSS (Really Simple Syndication), let me continue to further explain its function, as some may still haven't heard of it. To put it simply, it's like a free newspaper delivery service that automatically delivers the newest updates, be it news or blog articles, from the sites that you wish to follow, once you have subscribed to their RSS through a reader. The simple and yet powerful tool really reduces redundancy to frequently check websites for updates and save up a lot of time. Imagine you have hundreds of websites to follow and you do not have this service. What a pain in the ass!

I have been using Google Reader and find it very user-friendly, except for the lacking of customized articles classification which I need the most to collect and categorize articles from different sites. Until I try using Bloglines then I realize its clipping service is exactly what I seek for so long. IMHO, besides this, Google Reader is more superior than Bloglines. Perhaps it's true that nothing can be best at everything, and without choice, I have to use both together.

[P/S @ 2009-08-21: Having discovered that I can add tags to further classify articles, I re-subscribe all RSS with Google Reader and now I only use one reader. So there actually can be thing that works best for everything.]

0 comments:

by TemplatesForYouTFY
SoSuechtig, Burajiru